Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Movement Memories Adventures in Morocco

Last month, I performed a workshop at St. John's on the Lake in Milwaukee, WI. called Movement Memories Adventures in Morocco. It consisted of about 15 participants from that community, and we all contributed stories and dreams to a dance piece about traveling. We began with a comforting warm up that got our bodies and minds connected in the activity with music from Camille who is a singer from France that uses movements to change the sound she is creating. I find her music to be playful and edgy while with a sense of calm. It certainly brought our warm-up to a different place and time.
Then I asked them to share their experiences traveling or dreams to travel. We then created an adventurous dance that went from France to Soviet Russia, Morocco to Hawaii, and our own back yard. The stories were fascinating, and the movement that grew from them was hilarious and sometimes touching. I got so caught up in all of this that I lost track of time completely. I think I could have improved different timing because after we did the dance then I also did a brief presentation on Morocco and my adventures. I don't know. I have mixed feelings because I did enjoy hearing all of their stories and wishes. Also, It is a pleasure to share and relive my memories of Morocco. I had a blast, and even got to do a little belly dancing to the music of Samira Said whose music I was introduced to during my time in Morocco.

The biggest challenge was seeing everyone in the group because they all had different abilities. St. John's has a large community of people who can live freely on their own with little assistance and then people who need a little more care. In the future, I think it would be helpful if I switch where I'm sitting throughout the workshop so different areas have equal attention.
Photo Taken from St. John's website
It was a little nerve racking, but I had great assistance from St. John's staff especially Angela Crimmings who I worked with closely. She had great advice including having a little more volume. I tend to be soft spoken at times, and it doesn't work! Crimmings was very encouraging though, and said a comfortable volume will come with experience. It's kind of funny though because I generally like to talk a lot, but in important situations I become all quiet.
I hope to present again at St. John's. The community environment is friendly, respectful, and open. I enjoy their company with their abundance of knowledge and experience.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god, you danced to Samira Said! Which song?

    Hugs Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so awesome Sandy!! I miss you and Morocco.

    ReplyDelete