Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Interview with Joseph Kuczkowski (Uncle Joe) Owner of Collins Woodwork

My Uncle Joe has always been a carpenter for as long as I have known him. I have seen him build beautiful, extraordinary things from wood. He actually began his interest in carpentry when he started working for his neighbor Mr. Collins at 12 years old. Starting pay was $1 an hour in 1973, and he quickly received a raise to $2 after his first week. I never knew this information about Uncle Joe until this interview, and I find it very interesting that at a young age he knew who he wanted to be. I suppose I was the same way when I was younger, except, I wanted to be a star on Broadway! Little differences...

Image taken from Collins Woodwork Website
Over the years of working at Collins Woodwork, Uncle Joe took over the business, and now is the business owner. I think it must have been challenging, but my uncle has learned how to balance his personal and professional life well. He told me his biggest confrontation was that he forgot how to smile, and had to relearn over the first 5 years that he owned the business how to smile again. With fears of the economy and being true to oneself, I can empathize with that sentiment because I know that I can become a little caught up in my own fears. Specifically, I fear failure. To control one's fear is a huge step in owning a business. I hope that I make many mistakes, and face failure with the successes.

Another lesson I learned from our interview was to leave problems that are work related at work, and not carry them home. We all have to take some "Me Time", and for my Uncle that has always been reading a book in the bathtub. I don't know if he really wanted me to write about his bathing habits, but I thought it was important! I have so many ways to take "Me Time" whether it be watching TV, stalking people on facebook, or going out to eat by myself with a good book. It is great to just enjoy in simple activities. What do you do to escape the everyday obstacles? I'm sure we all have our place for "Me Time". It makes for a healthier individual.

Now. Collins Woodwork is a small business with a big impact. It is just different from a bigger hardware store that deals in bulk rather than keeping close with customers. My Uncle made sure to tell me that the customers and coworkers are what make a difference, and we are nothing without other people. I find this so true in what I do with my dancing, and I feel like it would be a loss if I couldn't share my love with the people around me.

Joe Kuczkowski is most definitely an artist with wood and business. He creates life experiences out of his business, and his business thrives because of his life experiences. Collin's Woodwork Cabinetry could be better called Collin's Woodwork Artistry!

Thank you Uncle Joe for always being so loving and caring, and allowing me to take up some of your time for an interview.

Image taken from Collins Woodwork on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment