Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Movements of Morocco - Waterford Public Library

Back at the Waterford Public Library, I put together a little something building on my experience in Morocco.

A workshop introducing the art of belly dancing and the culture brought about 30 participants of all ages together to learn about culture and movement.

Filling the room with books about Morocco, Africa, and Belly Dancing along with tea and trinkets that I brought back from my studies, I really tried to recreate a medina atmosphere that I saw in Morocco. It didn't quite capture the colors, smell, and feel of a Moroccan souq, but I was able to present some new information about the history of dance and photos from my adventures.

We started with a simple warm up as it is a healthy way to grab every one's attention and wake up the mind and body. Then I briefly went through some of the basic steps one might see in a belly dance performance. It was entertaining for me as well to see some of the participants really open up to the movement, and there was a great deal of laughter.

Giving their bodies a break, I let them go around the room and explore while drinking tea. I had gathered some videos to present Morocco and Belly Dancing in a different media. The intermission also gave me a chance to change, and reappear with one of my outfits that I bought in Morocco for belly dancing. A more conservative costume, it covers my stomach, but is very beautiful. I love the drama of the sleeves which drape and accentuate the movements of the arm, and upon entering the room, I then fielded questions from everyone about my travels and the culture.

For the finale, I had everyone circle around me while I performed for them and with them. I had some who weren't shy at all which made me smile. Overall, it was a wonderful time, and a lot of research and hard work. If you're at all interested in knowing more, keep following me as I plan to write another blog after this one informing everyone about the history, art, and resources for belly dancing and dance in Morocco.


Huge thank you to the Waterford Public Library and all their help and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment