Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Here Comes Trouble 2011

I'm on a roll at the moment with my blogging; I hope I can keep it up.


Photo taken by Mark Frohna

Well, I wanted to talk a moment about a production called "Here Comes Trouble" that I helped with by choreographing a piece, "Zillas". It took place at Danceworks this past weekend, and was a blast! It was a huge honor to have had the opportunity to put on a piece with three amazing dancers (Nastassja Bates, Emilie Rabbitt, and Janel Weeks). The piece was a collaboration of some of my crazy ideas about movement along with the dancers'. I tried hard to create a piece that really expressed the characters and drama that come out of a wedding in reference to all the wedding reality TV shows I have become addicted to.... "Bridezilla", "My Fair Wedding", "Rich Bride Poor Bride", and soooo many more. I find it to be a huge guilty pleasure to watch other weddings, and I also find it really hard because I'm planning my own wedding. It's hard to see all these lavish, beautiful ideas, and not salavate at the mouth! I really hope to one day take this short piece, and make it into an evening length work filled with my voice and opinions on the subject. (There are many. Most are in reference to how expensive everything seems to be along with how unfair it is that not everyone can legally marry the person they love based on gender)

I really loved that in the piece I could definately see myself portrayed in small amounts by the three dancers who I told specifically to portray very different characters from a little lost and confused to a bit ditsy and optomistic to just being controlling and a diva. If I had the chance to produce the piece again, I would love to see it with more dancers because these characters are just the beginning. It would be really wonderful to get a chance to see the piece progress, and I need to give a huge thank you to Sarah Wallish who directed the show for "Here Comes Trouble". Sarah along with Danceworks DanceLAB director Liz Tesch made a large effort to make the show possible from taking care of the lighting and sound along with promoting and really giving us a space and an audience to test out our work. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Photo Taken by Mark Frohna

  

It was so exciting to choreograph a piece on others for the first time, and have it be performed at Danceworks. I am always greatful for the Danceworks support and contribution to dance in the Milwaukee area, and hope to see them around for a long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment